6 weeks Back to Basics Christmas theme
Back to Basics is exactly that, over 6 consecutive weeks – we take you right back to the beginning and teach you, step-by-step, the best and easiest ways to achieve delicious, professional looking cakes. Whether you’ve never attempted to bake or are a more experienced baker and decorator looking for the definitive approach to decorating, this course is for you.
Over the six sessions you will bake, marzipan and ice a square fruit cake to achieve a smooth professional finish. Following on you will learn a variety of decorating and modelling techniques to give you skills that can be easily translated into hundreds of decorative variations.
Back to Basics is the perfect place to start your Cake School journey; it will give you base skills that you can develop further with our other courses, including the diplomas and master classes. Our recommendation would be that a beginner (or those wishing to refresh their skills) attends both this 6 week course and our other, 2 week Back to Basics, before progressing onto more advanced courses.
We provide everything you need, just bring your apron and the desire to create wonderful cakes.
- How to line a cake tin
- How to bake a rich fruit cake
- How to mature and store a rich fruit cake
- How to ice a cake board
- How to professionally cover your cake with marzipan and sugar paste icing
- How to use smoothers to best effect
- Using crimpers to create decorative edges
- Tutorial – how to use colour to best effect
- Tutorial – how to make royal icing
- The principals of piping to create a piped message and shell piping
- How to create icing run outs to create shapes
- Painting on sugar
- How to use flower paste to create simple cut outs
- How to attach ribbon to a cake board
- How to attach ribbon to a celebration cake
- How to create a tied bow
- Storage & transportation of your cake
The course price includes everything you need to bake and decorate your cake and even the box to take it home. We will provide all the ingredients, materials, all sugarcraft tools, equipment and refreshments. Course attendees will also receive a full set of course notes which includes the cake recipe and a discount sheet which gives exclusive discounts on the tools used during the course purchased in the cake decorating supplies shop for the duration of your course.
You need to bring an apron (or we have disposable aprons for 50p each).
Monday 6 November, 10am-12pm
Monday 13 November, 10am-12pm
Monday 20 November, 10am-12pm
Monday 27 November, 10am-12pm
Monday 4 December, 10am-12pm
Monday 11 December, 10am-12pm
8 in stock