Strawberry & Champagne Cupcakes (Makes 12)
- 150g Cake margarine (e.g. Stork for cakes)
- 150g Caster sugar
- 150g Eggs (this will be approx. 3 medium eggs. Break the eggs into a bowl and lightly whisk – then
- 150g Self-Raising flour (sifted)
- Few drops champagne flavour (Beau)
- 1 teaspoon glycerine
- 2 tablespoons Strawberry Jam mixed with a few drops of strawberry flavouring
- Pre-heat oven gas 3/ 160°C/ 140°Fan. The oven shelf should be just below the centre of the oven.
- Line a muffin tin (this holds its shape and conducts the heat) with cupcake cases.
Soften the margarine together with the glycerine and champagne flavour. Add the caster sugar and cream together until combined, light and fluffy.
On a low speed, cream in approx. 1/3 of the egg with a tablespoon of flour (stop as soon as combined – do not over mix), repeat twice more. Fold through the remaining flour (I use a sturdy spatula for this but a large spoon also works well).
Use an ice-cream scoop to divide the mixture between 12 cup cake cases until ¾ full.
Swirl the flavoured strawberry jam through the cupcakes with a cocktail stick.
Bake for 25-30 minutes approx. until cooked. The cakes should be golden brown and when you press the middle gently with your finger, it should spring back.
To learn more about baking why not try our Baking Master Class?
Strawberry & cream – replace the champagne with vanilla
White chocolate & lemon – replace the champagne with white chocolate flavour and replace the strawberry jam with lemon curd.
Apple & Blackberry – replace the champagne with apple flavour and replace the strawberry jam with bramble jelly & a few drops of blackberry flavour.cupcakes, lemon curd, Strawberry & Champagne Cupcakes, strawberry jam, Tutorial